Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the International Expressive Arts Therapy Association Conference. We are so happy to have your energy and ideas as we build and develop this experience. We want to outline different roles and responsibilities, as well as what you can expect from us in this process. By clarifying the different levels of involvement, we hope to enable you to take part in the planning process that feels meaningful and sustainable to you. We see this as a collaborative co-creation of a shared experience. Once you have read over this information, please complete our Volunteer Questionnaire by clicking here to help us better understand your interests and availability.
Our Conference Committees
Here is a current list of our committees and their areas of focus.
Marketing and Outreach
- Work on Conference Website
- Reach Out to Spread Word of the Conference
- Design Printed Conference Materials
- Reach out to possible advertisers and sponsors
- Support with Promotion via Social Media
- Coordinate with registration on volunteer registration and discounts
- Recruit volunteers for on-site support
- Create volunteer on-site schedule and responsibilities
- Support Conference Co-Chairs with delegation and follow-up on volunteer projects
- Click here to review our open positions for two Volunteer Managers.
- Work with chairs to determine fees, including early-bird discounts, etc.
- Support in managing registration through the conference website
- Help plan the scholarship application process
- Organize around the Continuing Education credit process to ensure attendees receive the necessary paperwork
- Click here to review our open positions for two Registration Operations Managers
- Coordinate with presenters and Equipment team around logistical needs
- Collaborate with registration to ensure Continuing Education paperwork is in place
- Help organize proposals and select presentations for the conference
- Click here to review our open positions for one additional Presentations Manager
- Brainstorm potential evening or morning activities and events
- Reach out to potential presenters and entertainment
- Coordinate with Venue and Equipment committee on the Artist’s Gallery and Vendor Store
- Plan and support the opening and closing ceremonies
Venue and Equipment
- Solicit companies and organizations for art supplies
- Liaise with venue and AV team around presenter needs
- Coordinate with Special Event committees on the Artist’s Gallery and Vendor Store
- Click here to review our open positions for two Venue & Facilities Managers.
Volunteer Role Descriptions
Our Committee Managers guide our committee volunteers through coordinating various projects and collaborating with our volunteers to get things done! Your vision will help us create this experience. Committee Managers will also be working with conference co-chairs to conceptualize and move forward on various projects and objectives. There’s quite a lot to do to make sure that this conference is the meaningful and inspiring event we hope to make it–we are hoping Managers are willing and able to jump and contribute, both showing their own initiative while keeping in the loop and collaborating with conference co-chairs. Here are some of our hopes for working together. Committee Managers will…
- Anticipated commitment of 10-25 hours per month.
- Attend at 2 of the 4 weekly meetings on a monthly basis. Meetings are currently Sunday mornings from 10a-11a and conducted via Zoom. If you are unable to meet with us at this weekly meeting, be available to meet with one of the conference chairs at least every other week to check in regarding activity on your committee.
- Respond to email communications within 3 days. Longer than this tends to slow projects down and make things and leads to some confusion and things falling through the cracks.
- Be available for occasional one-on-one check-ins and meetings with conference co-chairs as needed.
- If you are a Committee Manager, check in with your fellow manager regarding activities and tasks of your committee.
- Work directly with conference volunteers on your committee to maintain engagement and ensure the completion of projects.
In return, Committee Managers receive an up to 100% discount on conference fees. Committee Managers will also be recognized in printed materials, website, and at the conference. Click here to review Committee Manager openings.
Our Committee Volunteers get things done! Volunteer work with Committee Managers to carry through projects. This might include: creating documents, emailing or calling sponsors or businesses, or completing research. It’s a great way to “bank” hours and helps build the conference.
- Anticipated commitment of 5-15 hours a month.
- Attend at 1 of the 4 weekly meetings on a monthly basis. Meetings are currently Sunday mornings from 10a-11a and conducted via Zoom. If you are unable to meet with us at this weekly meeting, check in with your Committee Managers about projects and tasks.
- Respond to email communications from Committee Managers within 3 days. Longer than this tends to slow projects down and make things and leads to some confusion and things falling through the cracks.
- Complete accepted tasks within the requested timeline, or be in communication within requested timeline. Obviously, things come up and life is full of unexpected things, and we’re expecting volunteers to follow through on tasks they take on–it’s crucial to building this conference successfully that folks honor the commitments they make. If you say yes to something and then find you aren’t able to complete a task, please let your Committee Managers know as soon as possible!
- Be available for occasional one-on-one check-ins and meetings with Committee Managers.
In return, Committee Volunteers receive an up to 75% discount on conference fees. Committee Volunteers will also be recognized in printed materials, website, and at the conference.
We will ask you to keep track of the hours you’ve put towards the conference, including the number of hours and the tasks you’ve worked on and submit them regularly to the Volunteer Manager. This not only helps us but also gives you a good review of all the amazing things you’ve done! For five hours of volunteering, we will be providing you with 5% off of conference fees. You will be provided with a discount code at the time of registration appropriate to your discount level. The code will be meant only for your use.
A Note on Communication
We are actively striving for authenticity and openness in our communications as a team. We are hoping that as part of your commitment, you will be responsive to communications within a three day timeframe. We also anticipate that if you agree to do a task, it will be completed in the agreed-upon timeframe. We understand that life is unexpected and things may arise. Should you be unable to complete an agreed-upon task, we ask that you communicate with us to let us know you need to step away from a project. This is so helpful for us in maintaining the workflow of this enormous undertaking. If you have questions, concerns, or ideas, we fully support and encourage you to bring them to us or your committee lead.
A Note on Privacy
In the course of volunteering, you may come across personal information connected to our members, presenters, or other volunteers, or login information for various IEATA accounts. We ask that you keep all of this information private and be mindful and respectful when handling such information. Thank you for your cooperation.
A Note on Equity
We want to acknowledge that for many people, the ability to engage in volunteerism is complicated. Economic needs are a reality, and often the way our time and energy is valued is through money. We value what you offer us, and will continue to seek ways to demonstrate our value of what you do. Currently, we show this through the registration discount. If you have suggestions to add benefit to volunteering, please let us know.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN VOLUNTEERING!
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We look forward to working with you!